Sunday, September 2, 2012

First Au Pair Outing In USA

My first Au Pair outing in the USA was probably within the first month from when I arrived. Its been so long, I can't remember when what happened, but I feel the need to save these memories, because I know I will forget all this crap someday.


Natalya, my Local Area Representative (LAR), took me and another girl, I forgot her name, out to the Morehead Planetarium at the University of Chapel Hill. All I know about the other Au Pair is that I saw her twice, she couldn't speak a word of English when we met, and she later also left the agency and "went in hiding", she was from somewhere in South America.


So, inside the planetarium, is this large device thingy that shows the picture on the roof. I know, we have these in South Africa too, but the last time I saw one of these star shows, I was 13 and we did it in a tent... Its not the same...


We watched something about the "Big Bang Theory" and the beginning of earth, which was extremely interesting. Well, it was amazing! Then we went walking around in the museum. I had forgotten at that stage about Neil Armstrong and the moon landing, and needless to say I felt like an idiot going "oh, look, oh, look!" every 2 minutes.


The exhibits, the paintings, and the attention to detail regarding the history of the Morehead Planetarium, along with science, was absolutely fascinating. I loved that outing, and would love to do it again, just not in Chapel Hill. Not because I don't like it, just because its a bit far to go to a planetarium show in America when you are in South Africa. DUH!


I remember how exited I was to get out of the house that day. I didn't have a car yet, and Alisha was getting on my nerves. I got back home that afternoon, and didn't want to get out of the car, of course I did, but I didn't want to be there anymore.


The outing to the planetarium was a pleasant distraction.

No comments:

Post a Comment