Sunday, September 2, 2012

My first Saturday in USA

I completely forgot about this and the photos that I posted on my Facebook page. My first Saturday was at the Farmer's Market somewhere in Durham, North Carolina, and at the Life and Science Museum. The Duke Gardens expedition was actually on the Sunday, so, I admit, I made the mistake.


I can't remember what we ate at the Farmer's Market, but I remember that I thought "this is nothing compared to a South African farmer's market". We sat on the grass, and another thing I remember now, is that I was completely confused by Gavin's behavior. The family told me that he had a speech impairment, before I went to live with them, and this was not a speech impairment. Later on I learnt that he was autistic, but that is a subject for another blog.


We then went to the Life and Science museum in Durham. It was fantastic, although this was more of a working weekend, I still loved it. Only once in my life had I been to a butterfly museum, but the Life and Science museum is way better. There was a petting zoo, well, basically just farm animals on show, and they weren't happy animals either. I can't imagine that animals kept in small cages would be happy, but kids love that...






Then, after visiting the animals, we went to the museum thing. There are lots of wonderful and weird creatures in there, and a butterfly "park". There are also activity rooms where kids can play and learn. I love stuff like that, and I do apologize for the blurry photos...












Oh, and I do realize that I take photos of extremely stupid, non relevant stuff, but I really love remembering the small things in life. Even the butterflies...







Then the activity rooms, I don't think I took enough photos to show what a wonderful place this is...




And now, the playground where we spent about an hour... There is so much to do, there's a musical exhibit where kids can make as much noise as they want, and a sand pit, and there are loads of slides and playgrounds... I wish we had something like that over here, and we probably do, I just don't know about it...





The butterfly park was fun, but because I love nature, not because the kids were crying the whole time because they were afraid of butterflies. And no, I'm not joking, these two were horrified by butterflies. I wish I had photos of them freaking out over the cutest insects the world owns. Amazing.






Oh yes, and I was lucky to see the "new" butterflies get set free. I think I was the only one over the age of 10 to be excited about that.

Anyway, you have to appreciate the small things in life, and pay attention to detail to make things worth remembering, and value what you experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment