Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Mika, my love

Mika came into my life in 2005, as a puppy, a mere 3 weeks old. Her eyes weren't completely open, and she could barely move.


I taught her how to eat my dipping her face into puppy porridge, and later I taught her how to fetch a ball and to "DROP!".


She gave birth to a few pups, only once, because after having kids of her own, and we, evil human masters, gave her kids away, she got cat fever. She wouldn't eat at the doggy hospital, so, my dad sneaked in a crap load of beef jerky, and kept her going. Obviously she survived.


Mika and my dad have had a special bond since that time. She wasn't a boring dog either. She was the master of the yard, our two males seem feminine compared to her. She was the gate keeper, along with the fence watcher, and a scare crow against the doves that stole their dog food.


If a door was slightly ajar, she would investigate by opening the door standing on her hind legs. She was "Sheriff".


She always had to lie on the highest pillow or sofa in the room.

She had to bully our other female canine, Jewel. Constantly climbing on her back, growling at her. Even in the middle of the night when she had to get up to wee-wee. Constantly making sure that everyone knew that she was the boss.


Today I came home, and as usual thought that Mika was on the sofa in the house. It happens a lot that I park my car and she doesn't greet me. Other days she runs outside the gate, barks at the neighbor's dog, and comes back to be the first to jump into the car.


Neither of the scenarios happened today.

My mom came home, and Mika ran out to bite some innocent bystanders.

A car hit her.

My dad said that she wasn't in pain, she got a nasty knock to the head, and her hind legs. We suspect that her back was broken. The guy that drove into her cried out of guilt or sadness, and its OK. It's not his fault. My parent's brought Mika into the house, and put her on a blanket. Her breaths were shallow, her tongue hung out, and her one eye looked glassy. She wasn't in pain, she did not move, she did not moan or growl.

My mom and dad comforted her as she was dying. And then she gave her last breath.


They took her body to the vet to cremate. A dog is a part of the family. They deserve a respected burial. They protect us, they love us, they entertain us, and we feel comfort in their presence.

She was not thrown into the garbage like a bird that was killed by a cat.

She was loved.

She will be missed.

X O X O X O X O X

No comments:

Post a Comment